Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An Open Letter to Peter Hogness Concerning Professor Sandi Cooper and Anne Neal

I have sent the following e-mail to Peter Hogness of the Clarion, the newspaper of the Professional Staff Congress, the union of the faculty of the City University of New York (CUNY).

Dear Dr. Peter Hogness:

You have recently published an article concerning Anne Neal that I consider to have been unfair. For example, you call her an "ideologue". I would like to write a response in your newspaper of equal length to your article refuting your false claims about Ms. Neal and ACTA.

Recently, I blogged a response that included a quote taken from Ron Capshaw's Frontpagemag article concerning Professor Sandi Cooper. Professor Cooper sent a response to my Brooklyn College e-mail account asserting that Mr. Capshaw is a "seriously troubled individual" and suggesting that:

"You might at the very least acknowledge that Mr. Capshaw appears not to have understood a word of an undergraduate course where he sat for an entire semester, evidently living in his own script."

Professor Cooper also asserted in her e-mail that:

"your willingness to print as fact the idiotic red-baiting by a former CUNY graduate student, Ron Capshaw, (published originally in Frontpage) suggests that you enjoy red-baiting far more than fact checking."

In the interest of even handedness I have published Professor Cooper's entire e-mail on my blog. I have also invited Jamie Glazov and Ron Capshaw to respond to Ms. Cooper's statements. I have given Professor Cooper's views much more space than the quote that I pulled from Frontpagemag concerning her.

In contrast, the Clarion has not published both sides of the Anne Neal debate. In general, the Clarion has tended to be a left wing propaganda font that has rarely permitted alternative viewpoints.

I would like to ask you to follow the high example that I have set and permit me to write a feature length article to address the Clarion's assertions concerning Ms. Neal.

My blog concerning Professor Cooper is at:


http://mitchell-langbert.blogspot.com/2007/08/sandi-cooper-responds.html

Mitchell Langbert, Ph.D.

No comments: