Thursday, March 28, 2019

Letter to Sarah Lawrence College President Cristle Collins Judd in Support of Prof. Samuel Abrams

Dear President Judd:

I attended Sarah Lawrence College for two years, from 1973 to 1975, and I am increasingly ashamed of my association with it.  I read with dismay Professor Abrams’s op-ed in Minding the Campus.  Abrams writes that students are afraid to say not only that they support a Republican or Libertarian candidate but also that they support a left-wing candidate like Hillary Clinton who is not as extreme a leftist as campus bullies would like.  

When Professor Abrams wrote in the Times that the college needs better balance, he and his family received threats and suffered property damage from campus bigots who have been encouraged by a faculty that has apparently lost its way and an administration that apparently likes to run afoul of Section 501(c)(3).  My guess is that if a basic history examination is to be given to the Orwellian-named “Diaspora Coalition,” it would reveal that the majority do not know the basics of history.  Professor Abrams says that this coalition of bigots has intimidated and bullied those who support him.


I want to see such an examination given to the members of the Diaspora Coalition. The scores should be publicly posted.  My null hypothesis is that they are badly educated half literates. 
My question is this: Given that the college increasingly appears to be in the indoctrinating-and-dumbing-down business, exactly why should I offer financial support?


Sincerely,


Mitchell Langbert

No comments: