Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Letter to Rahm Emmanuel Re Chick-fil-A



PO Box 130
West Shokan, New York 12494
August 21, 2012

Mayor Rahm Emmanuel
121 N LaSalle Street
Chicago City Hall 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60602
Dear Mr. Emmanuel:

I am organizing a group of 50 to rent a bus to drive to our nearest Chick-fil-A. I had not heard of the chain before your remarks about it, for its nearest outlet is two hours from my home. The bus will leave from Kingston, New York, and many of my friends are enthusiastic about the event.

We intend to party, drink a keg of beer, read the alien-to-you Constitution of the United States, and burn your, Obama's and the Chicago Skyline's images--along with those of 1935 Berlin and Moscow. 

I had been in Chicago as an expert witness in 2005, enjoyed it, and had planned to return. Because of your remarks I will never set foot in Chicago again; it is as dead to me as Dachau, which I also visited once before: when I was a senior at Sarah Lawrence College in 1975.

You well illustrate a phenomenon that I have witnessed since my childhood in the 1960s: America is a country where the worst get to the top.  Since the early 19th century political leadership has been the nation's weak point, and you represent a new low.  


 Sincerely,

Mitchell Langbert

2 comments:

Kay said...

Sounds like a great idea! Though I don't necessarily agree with Dan Cathy, I find it ludicrous that Rahm Emmanuel would try to keep a business out of his city simply because he disagrees with the CEO's comments. How hypocritical of Emmanuel to allow the many religious organizations, middle eastern eateries, etc. with their codescending attitudes toward women and gays but cry foul when a southern baptist does it. We have a good friend who owns a Chick-fil-A in NC.(we currently live in CT).Because my girls are only eleven, eleven and ten, they actually understand the first amendment and don't try to politicize it. They were worried that the controversy would hurt the success of our friend's store, and created a video explaining that this is simply a freedom of speech issue. I've attached a link. Good luck in Chicago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxhiMkRNDMg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mairi said...

Kay, I love the video the girls made. You need to send the link to Rahmses also.
Great letter, Mitchell. The "support Chik-Fil-A day" was THE MOST supported effort of a commercial enterprise ever, from what I hear. People waited in drive-ups and inside lines for over 2 hours in many instances. I was truly surprised at the massive outpouring of support in Illinois, and other mayors are begging Cik-Fil-A to open in their cities or towns. Maybe there is hope for Illinois yet......