Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Barbarous Noise of Televised News


Bill O'Reilly

Chris Mathews

















I was in the health club this evening, and the Turner Classic Movies channel, which I usually watch, wasn't working. I haven't watched TV News since the '08 presidential election, so I gave it a try. O'Reilly was on Fox. These lines from John Milton's "Sonnet 12" came to mind:

I did but prompt the age to quit their cloggs*
By the known rules of antient libertie,
When strait a barbarous noise environs me
Of Owles and Cuckoes, Asses, Apes and Doggs.

Watching O'Reilly deliver the news made me feel as though I was in a zoo, watching a gorilla explain current events to me.I then switched to MSNBC.  Chimpanzees, like gorillas, have near-human intelligence.  Chris Matthews almost reaches the chimpanzee level.   Milton doesn't mention gorillas and chimps, but he died more than three centuries before the advent of cable television news.

*restraints

No comments: