Thursday, November 4, 2010

Viva Glenn Beck!

My good friend Glenda Rose McGee suggested that I watch the indomitable Glenn Beck on Fox.  All Tea Partiers are abuzz about Beck but I am a latecomer to his show.  My neighbor had been after me to watch Beck for months and I turned him on almost a year ago, November 5, 2009. That happened to be the night of the Fort Hood shooting but Beck wasn't on.  A day short of a year has passed and I turned him on again. I was working out in the Emerson Hotel's gym.  The Emerson is a swanky local joint and the people who belong to its health club tend to be affluent left wingers from the neighboring Town of Woodstock who can afford the $85/month fee. A few of us are Republicans and we tread cautiously. I hesitated putting Fox on because there were long haired Woodstock women on either side of me dressed in workout serapes and Birkenstock sneakers. Several years ago a woman tried to have me thrown out of the health club because I was watching Fox.  But I went for the remote when one of the Serape-and-Birkenstock clad women walked away.  When she saw I had turned the channel to Fox she glared at me with hatred, forgetting her commitment to left wing "love." Although Subaru is the "love" car one is always cutting me off, often with hostility.  Which, of course, will not stop me from buying a used Outback as a second car.  But Glenda Rose McGee would need to drive me to Colonial Subaru in Kingston, and she may refuse to set foot on enemy territory, the Subaru dealer.

Glenn Beck is great.  He was talking about agricultural prices shooting up and as you know if you read my blog I have been discussing the Deutsche Bank Agricultural Index exchange traded fund (DBA) for some time.  Beck is bringing concerns about the Fed and its policies to conservatives, and that is a gift to them. He did not get all the details as right as I would have liked, so I'll give him a B+ instead of an A, but bless him.  Also, I think his rhetoric was a bit too protectionist. Protectionism would be a serious error.  Tariffs would cause prices to rise, curtailing consumption. Some firms might move back here but the average American would be worse off. As well, retaliation would follow.  I don't see the logic of protectionism.  If Beck is opposed to higher consumer and food prices, he ought to oppose protectionism. Protectionism caused the Irish potato famine and the starvation of the Ukrainian kulaks.  It leads to poverty except in the early stages of economic development IF there is vital emerging industry. There is no vital emerging industry here.  The problem here is excessive government, and protectionism won't reduce government. Barack Obama and George Bush have ground small business under government's bureaucratic heel. That heel needs to be cut off.

Overall, though, Beck is performing a major service by bringing the tone of Jacksonian democracy to the average conservative. Viva Glenn Beck!

3 comments:

vakeraj said...

Beck is amazing! He gets his follows interested in reading things like the Constitution, the Road to Serfdom, Atlas Shrugged, and other great works. Beck also hosts a lot of Cato scholars on his show to entertain points that most other conservatives refuse to address, like cutting defense spending. And of course he's very suspicious of the Fed. I'm annoyed by his attempt to turn the Tea Party into a religious movement, but Beck is infinitely better than those other hacks on Fox like O'Reilly and Hannity.

Doug Plumb said...

Paul Craig Roberts is in favour of protectionism.

Cindy said...

How long have we been telling you about this? It's about time, Mithcell...